Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Rosie O'Donnell, Abbreviated Language and Tired Brains

I think the Rosie and Donald feud was ridiculous from the start. "The Donald's" sinking to new levels aside, I suppose it's very old news now, and I doubt anyone much cares about my soapbox here.

Nevertheless, I need to say this:

Rosie is in her forties. Could she grow up and write like someone who wants to be taken seriously?

When logging onto my computer to read the day's events, her "teeny-bopper"-style (nothing against teenagers; I have two myself) written blogs are excruciating reading -- no capitalization, and individual letters and/or numbers substituted for real words (for example ---- "r u kidding me? i didn't want 2 eat as much as i 8!"). I simply cannot take seriously anything written in this manner.

I see the need for abbreviated language in text messaging, when one needs to limit the number of characters. But in an essay, poem or blog?

As I tell my kids: you have great thoughts and you write well, but if you don't make it readable, nobody cares.

Rosie, I don't care.

No comments: