Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Change is Good

My wonderful mom is a bit on the eccentric side --- not pretentious, just creative and unabashedly unique. She was not afraid to use her creativity in naming her daughters. Some of us have out-of-the-ordinary names that reflect the part of our heritage that is European; others of us, well, she just made up our names.

Well, I've decided recently to change my name (the name of my blog is based on it), which has confused some people. One of my sisters tells me regularly, "I'm seriously having issues about you changing your name!" I get that. I do. She and I are very close in age and spent our younger years doing everything together. We were each other's only friends until the end of elementary school. Our identities were intertwined; most of our good childhood memories are of each other and not much else.

Nevertheless, this "Darling Daughter #5," as my mother so affectionately introduces me, is changing to a new name that is immensely significant to me. I could never explain this in a way that would make sense to anyone else; I don't really feel like I need to.

Thankfully, my husband and my children support me in this. I couldn't ask for more.

I'll always be my mom's "DD#5" and my younger sister's buddy; I'll always be the woman my husband married and the mother my kids have always known.


I'm still me, only with a different name.

No comments: